Monday, April 29, 2013

My Experience: Volunteering at Mercedes Benz Fashion Week Australia

I figured I would do a post just telling you guys about my experiences at MBFWA, because hey, that's what my blog is all about. My experiences in the fashion industry right! So here we go. Just take note I was there 3/5 of the days and this is super late!

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion for spring, fashion 2013, latest fashion, fashion for 2013 spring, fashion week australia, mercedesbenz, fashion volunteer, how to be volunteer, how to volunteer for fashion shows, fashion shows,




Ridiculously early morning start, I had to leave my house at 6am. It was still dark out and it was cold and it was early. I guess it didn't matter, I was just excited to be a part of it! Majority of the morning was spent waiting around to be given a job. I did make a few friends though which was good.I finally got my first job around 10am, making goody bags for the Aurelio Costarella show. I've always loved Aurelio Costarella (not that I could ever say the name), so I got my photo with the designer! I look terrible in the photo so I'm not going to post it up.  I somehow ended up in the back again and dressing models but all the models were taken! So back to the front of that event I went and I was put in a position to usher people in to the show. While I was out there I spoke to a few people and learnt about what they did and how they got there so that was a really good insight. I also met Susie Bubble while she was in the line and HAD to get a photo, I love her blog. I look pretty gross in this photo too but oh well!
I didn't actually get to watch the Aurelio Costarella show because I was outside the whole time but I'm a huge fan of couture and I saw the dresses before so ofcourse it was going to be a brilliant show. 
MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, models, aurelio costarella, designer, the box
MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, models, aurelio costarella, designer, the box, model, girl, face, headpiece, amazing
MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, models, aurelio costarella, designer, the box, model, girl, face, headpiece, amazing
 I didn't get to watch any of the other shows but I did get backstage access to the hair and makeup area (yay for connections) while they were doing the h&m for the Roopa Pemmaraju show. 
I ventured out to the front of the venue to help out because I didn't have anything better to do and they didn't really assign me to do anything else and actually got my makeup done by some of the maybelline team. It was really cool for the guests because they had a makeup station with like makeup artists where you could go and get your makeup done. They also had a hair station. I thought that was pretty thoughtful! If you're in a rush you can still look fab.
MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, models, backstage, hair and makeup, redken, team, roopaMBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, models, backstage, hair and makeup, redken, team, roopa

(hair and makeup at Roopa by the Redken team)

(feeling like Nicki Minaj with extremely bright pink lipstick after getting makeup done)

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, maybelline

(maybelline makeup stand)

I was then there next on the Thursday of the week, and it consisted of a little bit later start (thank god). For that day I was front of house, so I got to see what was happening out front and got to spot a few famous faces! I also snapped a few streetstyle photo's which you can see here. I spent majority of the day handing out magazines and packing goody bags however I did get to actually watch a few shows this time! I got to watch the Blesse'd are the Meek show (see here) and also manage to end up front row somehow at the Suboo show which was really cool because I had never actually seen a runway before (apart from being backstage) and there I was front row!
A few famous faces I got to meet and speak to (and ofcourse take a photo with) were Nicole from Gary Pepper Vintage, Pixel Hazard from Brightgreenlaces and X-factor Australia winner Samantha Jade. Please excuse my face.

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, gary pepper, gary pepper vintage, mbfwa, me, juice, nice, pretty, girls, love,nicole, nicole warne
(Nicole- Gary Pepper Vintage)
MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, samantha jade, xfactor, me, celebrity, famous, fashion week, girls, singer
(Samantha Jade)

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, pixel hazard, pixel hazaard, bright green laces, brightgreenlaces, blog, bloggers, blogger, streetstyle, girls, curry, maxi dress, headband, twitter

(Pixel Hazaard- Bright Green Laces)

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, front row, suboo, model, blue, dress, picture, runway, catwalk, runway show, love, designer

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, front row, suboo, model, blue, dress, picture, runway, catwalk, runway show, love, designer

(Front Row at Suboo)

Day 3 started off at the same time as day 2, but I was sad because it was the last day, and as if fashion week would come to an end that fast?! Once again I was front of house. I started off the day by moving around seats and packing gift bags for the Christina Exie show but then I somehow ended up watching the New Generation show! I was also at the Staple the Label show but I was right at the back and couldn't see a thing. I've written up a post about one of the collections from the New Generation shows here. After that I ended up (I don't know how it happened but I ended up here and there without knowing it) backstage at the Christina Exie show which was super amazing, my favourite collection that I got to see of the whole of Fashion week. I've also written up a post about it here. After that I was basically just helping out wherever I could, I didn't get to watch anymore shows though especially because I was only rostered on for half the day.

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, new generation, model, blue, dress, picture, runway, catwalk, runway show, love, designer

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, new generation, model, blue, dress, picture, runway, catwalk, runway show, love, designer
(models at the New Generation Show)
MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, model, dress, picture, runway, catwalk, runway show, love, designer, models, christina exie, backstage
(models backstage at Christina Exie)
MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, model, dress, picture, runway, catwalk, runway show, love, designer, models, christina exie, backstage, drinks
(Drinks backstage with the girls after a successful show- we were all celebrating Christina Exie's first MBFWA show and she was tearing up)

MBFWA, mercedes benz fashion week australia, carriagworks, redfern, fashion, fashion shows, backstage, volunteer, love, australia, sydney, venue, lesimplyclassy, fashion week, model, dress, picture, runway, catwalk, runway show, love, designer, models, venue
(models outside the venue- Carriageworks, Redfern)

(A friend's polaroid of models backstage at the Staple the Label show)

And that was it! My first Fashion Week done and dusted for the year. I'll definitely be thinking about volunteering again next year despite the early mornings, it was an amazing experience. If you're thinking about it too I do recommend it, just beware that there is a lot of waiting around involved.
I hope you have a fantabulous day! xxx
Follow me on Bloglovin
Follow me on Facebook

7 comments:

  1. Hey Samira, OMG worst pic of me ever! Should totally have checked it! Hope you had fun. I was conpletly exhausted by the end


    PixelHazard | Bright Green Laces |

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA it's not that bad!!! And yes I did have fun thanks! xx

      Delete
  2. I can honestly say I'm jealous!

    -Raven Rosie
    www.ravenrosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi !

    I have just visited your awesome blog. I would be happy if you return the favor visiting my blog too !

    We’re interested in what interests them. Brands, music, sex, shopping. About what they wear. What they believe.

    We open a little window into the parallel universe that is the life of another person; the view can be interesting. Join us at http://www.warholschildren.com.au and like us on our Facebook fan page https://www.facebook.com/WarholsChildren and you could be on your way to a significantly improved love life. We’re giving Warhol’s children’s t-shirt randomly every week for the next month. Maybe longer, we’ll see.

    I would really appreciate if you visit my site and i am sure you will get what you are looking for :)

    With Love,
    Sifat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing New Dresses Collection, Thanks. Cocktail dresses or cocktail gowns are almost the same except cocktail dresses displays a short length while cocktail gowns are long length down to the ground. Buy now Replica Herve Leger, Cocktail and Evening Dresses with free shipping within Australia etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there!

    I was considering volunteering for this years fashion week :) Any suggestions on what they're looking for?
    Thanks,
    Pragati

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting!