I've recently started wearing lipstick more and more often (can we say red lips anyone?). The only problem I seem to be having with it is that they don't last me all day. With a busy schedule it can be hard to find breaks to reapply and my lips become quite dry and colour starts to dissappear after a while. I used to also carry around like a gazillion different products 'just incase' but after discovering a few little tricks I haven't had to.
I thought I would share with you some of the little things I do to try and make my lipstick last longer!
- First of all, you would think the obvious: go for a long lasting lipstick! I'm yet to find the right colour of long lasting (and one that doesn't break the bank) but I'll be on the lookout. One that did stand out for me was the Maybelline long lasting one that they used at fashion week, that stuff lasted me all day and all night. ( shop similar here ).
- Another thing you could do is apply the first layer of lipstick, blot it with some tissue and then apply another layer on top. This usually works if you want a longer last, but it depends on the lipstick.
- Something else I like to do is if you have a lipliner that is the same or a close colour as the lipstick, fill in your whole lip with the liner then apply lipstick on top. Like this:
- Apply powder on top of the lipstick. This also makes your lipstick matte! You can use face powder or eye shadow, I tend to use talcolm powder because we just have that lying around. Basically just put a really thin layer of the powder on your finger and dab it on top of your lipstick. Keep dabbing until you can't see it anymore. You will get a little bit of excess lipstick on your finger but that's okay.
- If you're not too keen on the matte look, I tend to put a little bit of vaseline on top as a finish or lipgloss. I wouldn't usually put another layer of lipstick because it does get a little bit too cakey for my liking.
- If you're still finding it hard to make your lipstick last, try applying a tiny bit of foundation over the entire lip area and then apply lipstick on top. Hopefully this will give your lipstick something to hold on to.
- Before applying lipstick I always apply normal body moisturiser or lip balm about 3 minutes before putting on lipstick to let it soak in. I've done this before and my friends think I'm strange for putting moisturiser on my lips. I swear it works though!
- If you're buying lipstick and going for the long last, matte finish always lasts longer than creamy or shiny. Even though they last longer, they are a lot dryer so be generous with your lip balm/ moisturiser beforehand so your lips don't dry out aswell.
I also wanted to just show you a few of my fave products I use when it comes to lips yay.
Starting on the left:
- Imperial Leather Talcolm powder for on top of the lips ofcourse.
- The Body Shop born lippy in strawberry (it tastes amazing)
- Illamasqua lipstick in the colour Howl, this one already has a matte finish! As I said before, matte always lasts longer. I really like the darker red colour on me.
- The middle lipstick is one which I can't find the name of, but as much as I love the colour it doesn't last very long. Extremely slippery finish.
- Inglot lipstick number 143. I love the fuschia colour of this one, but I've only started wearing it after trying the maybelline one at fashion week! It's not quite matte but not quite slippery either.
- Avon glazewear liquid lip colour in celebrity plum. A lovely darker shade of purple, goes quite well with my skin colour.
- Savvy by DB lipliner in ruby red. My favourite lipliner and the only one I seem to use.
- In the back we have Lipsmacker in Squeezy strawberry. I've loved lipsmacker ever since I was a kid and still can't get enough of it! Also yum, if you can't tell I have a thing for strawberry flavour.
- Vaseline petroleum jelly. Perfect for anything and everything. Always use it, especially when I'm going without lipgloss/lipstick/colour.
- Lush Lip Scrub in Popcorn. This is the coolest thing ever for exfoliating your lips. Scrub and buff your lips to softness, lick of the excess then apply whatever on top!
Hopefully some of these tips work out for you, I'd love if you let me know in the comments if you try any of them, if you have any other tips that you use, any of your favourite lip products or any thoughts you have in relation! Have a sweet day xxx
Follow me on Bloglovin
Follow me on Facebook